Visionary Leadership Conferences 2018 round up
Thank you to everyone who joined us at Visionary’s three Leadership Conferences in Birmingham (24th April), Leeds (30th April) and London (3rd May). We were joined by 65 delegates who came together over three conferences, to problem-solve, network, feedback to the Visionary team about their needs, learn something new, and find out about new initiatives in the sector.
Following the opening address by Visionary’s CEO, Fiona Sandford, the one-day programme comprised of two plenary sessions (Leadership Forum and Member Engagement) and three afternoon workshops (Governance and Succession Planning, Dig deeper into GDPR, and Technology – Apps, Goggles, Books and Pockets).
With a nearly all-new Visionary staff team, the leadership conferences were a great opportunity for members to speak with open minds, find out about Visionary’s plans to support members, network with other CEOs and trustees, and gain new knowledge in specific areas of work.
Emerging themes from sessions
Throughout the three conferences there were some emerging themes that came out of various sessions summarised below.
- How organisations and CEOs deal with conflicts of interest.
- The need for leaders to be supported by their trustees.
- The desire for trustees to be supported to deliver good governance.
- Great to have a trustee forum to debate issues.
- The wish for skills training for trustee Chairs to conduct appraisals.
- A desire among leaders for greater showcasing of best practice.
- A desire to be connected to a mentoring service for CEOs and trustees.
Membership engagement – this session was an opportunity for members to say how they would like Visionary to support them and the Visionary network further. The large lists that were produced brought out some key areas:
Governance and income development – Several ideas of how Visionary might support further were raised by members.
- Signing up collectively on behalf of members for one of the funding databases, eg through the Directory of Social Change.
- Use Visionary’s national reach to fundraise nationally and then share this funding/delivery through the membership
- Sharing best practice ideas for funding and projects, technology etc… throughout the membership – especially the innovative, weird and wacky!
- Sharing docs or templates, via the Knowledge Hub around disaster management & succession planning in particular.
- There was support for the idea Fiona proposed of Visionary offering an interim CEO programme and support to Boards when a long-standing CEO leaves to help bridge to gap while recruiting for a new, permanent CEO.
- Support with Board recruitment would be welcomed.
- Working with Visionary to find a way to champion and recognise the work of trustees across local sight loss organisations.
Your individual feedback at the conferences and specific comments on the post evaluation survey evaluations pointed to some emerging themes to consider for the leadership conferences in 2019.
- Diversity of the organisations attending – some smaller, others larger potentially may have different needs to address.
- CEOs, trustees and managers would benefit from separate sessions.
- A greater strategic focus would be good for CEOs around leadership and training.
- Views on venues were mixed depending on which conference was attended.
Our evaluation survey was completed by 36 delegates.
- Overall you rated the leadership conference 8/10
- 89% of those answering our survey went away having learnt something new and useful for their work and felt this knowledge would make a different to their work
- 83% delegates rated the networking opportunities at the conference good or excellent.
Our priorities for support in 2018
Following your feedback in the Member Engagement session and other more informal feedback we will:
- Investigate providing an HR consultancy service for members via a third party. We are currently in talks with a supplier and hope to be able to offer members some free consultancy time on all things HR in the immediate future. Watch this space.
- Continue to support you on your funding needs when requested.
- Ensure all regions have a Visionary regional network set up.
- Set up a system where we can put members, who are happy to participate, to connect with each other, providing peer to peer support on specific projects.
- Ensure that a Visionary staff regional lead is set up for all regions and all members know who their rep is and how to contact for further support needs.
- Ensure all members who did not receive an annual visit last year do so in 2018.
Looking forward to 2019
Visionary will be looking closely at the evaluations from our three conferences as we draw up our conference programme in 2019.
We very much wish to continue to offer three conferences in three locations to enable all members that wish to attend to do so.
Given the emerging themes we will be looking very carefully to ensure we can provide specific sessions at each location for the three main groups that attend these conferences, namely:
- CEOs – sessions strategy and leadership
- Trustees – specific trustee sessions on governance
- Operational lead sessions around funding, marketing and HR.
We will also consider whether we can run a session in the plenary that splits between smaller and larger organisations to tailor more to their needs.