England Athletics in partnership with British Blind Sport, will be re-launching Find a Guide
Find a Guide has been helping visually impaired people find guide runners across England to support them to run for nearly 2 years now. In this time we’ve trained over 1110 people on our Sight Loss Awareness and Guide Running workshop and licenced over 720 guide runners. Since its launch in 2016 we’ve been listening to feedback about the database and have made some improvements to make it even easier for visually impaired people to find a guide runner and run, wherever and whenever suits them!
On Tuesday 3rd April, England Athletics in partnership with British Blind Sport, will be re-launching Find a Guide and promoting it with visually impaired people and visually impaired organisations to continue to help people to find a guide runner.
So what’s new:
We’ve made some changes to Find a Guide to hopefully make things even easier and more accessible for both visually impaired runner and guide runner. Here are just some of the changes:
- Find a Guide supports people to run with others so the database will join our RunTogether website but can still be found on the England Athletics site, British Blind Sport site and various partner sites
- Visually impaired people using the database will be supported with advice on what sort of information would be useful to include when they contact a guide runner
- Filters have been provided to help visually impaired people find a guide runner most suitable for them
- Licensed guide runners will be able to mark themselves as unavailable to run during times of injury etc so only available guide runners will show in searches
- Licensed guide runners can add a photo (optional) and a description to tell people about themselves and what sort of guide running they’re available for (for example regular training, one off events, beginners etc)
What can you do?
Find a Guide can show on other websites so visually impaired people can search for guide runners directly from that site. If you would like a widget for your website please contact email@example.com.
Help us spread the word:
From Tuesday 3rd April 2018 we’ll be promoting the new look Find a Guide (www.findaguide.co.uk) to visually impaired people and organisations to try and get more people running. We’d love it if you could help us spread the word so that more visually impaired people know there are guide runners out there ready to support them to run.
During the week 3rd to 6th April we’ll relaunch Find a Guide on social media (Twitter and Facebook) along with a short video. Share the video and post on social media using #FindAGuide.
If you’ve got any questions please contact Liz Purbrick, Inclusion Manager, 07850514936 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for supporting visually impaired people to run.